26 August 2009

Self Righteousness Part One: Pride

Self righteousness is a problem most if not all Christian struggle with, I would be lying if I said I did not. I believe self righteousness takes many forms, a few we are familiar with and others fail to see or we do not see the whole side of it. This week I will attempt to examine pride.

Pride, many of us have our pride. Proud that I am a Christian, proud that I will go to Heaven, proud that I am better than my neighbor who does not go to church. The list can go on and on. You may say I do not think this way, I ask you to take one minute to reevaluate, search your sub-conscience and then honestly ask if these ideas are not present. Still do not think you apply then you are on the right track in your relationship with God or really good at lying to yourself (I would examine the latter idea more fully before you believe the former.) Does pride lie within in our thinking of ourselves only or how we also think of others. For example, saying I am proud of..., does that differ from self pride? I lean toward is does not. How do we fix this? I think the answer lies in what Paul tells us, boast in Christ only. But what does this mean for us? Should we do away with our awards and honors? I honestly do not know. Is recognition of a person for some accomplishment a form of pride? I think these are many questions we need to explore. I do not pretend to have an answer. I am leaning toward thinking any type of recognition is a form of pride for the rewarded and rewarder. I do not know what this means for me and for all Christians. Please comment with thoughts on this. What is pride to you? How do you fight against it? Any other insights or questions you have.


No comments:

Post a Comment